“Products” are so 2012. “Experiences” are where it’s at in 2015.
It’s no longer good enough to tell your customer: “Here’s your download! Bye!”
You can’t send them off with an infodump of 15 videos or 100 pages of text and expect them to figure it all out on their own.
Customers expect MORE than that these days. They crave an experience. And more importantly, they crave a premium experience.
A premium experience is one where all of the guesswork is removed and your customer’s success is ensured. Customers are willing to pay for that level of confidence because they want to get the best results possible.
It’s the difference between buying a gym membership and hoping you use it…versus investing in a gym membership AND a personal trainer to keep you on track.
With a trainer on your side, you’re going to stay motivated and see results. It’s worth paying for because you’re guaranteed a higher rate of success than going it alone.
That’s how your course experience should feel to a new student: like success is inevitable.
Say YES to dripped content
- With a low value product: customers download or access all of their content at once, and that’s that. It’s nothing more than an infodump, and your customers are left trying to drink out of a firehose. Impossible! (And painful!)
“You get to drink from…THE FIREHOSE!” (Thanks, Weird Al, for making UHF.)
- With a high value experience: you deliver your course content one piece at a time on a well-paced schedule. This is called dripped content, and it’s the opposite of the firehose. It ensures maximum effectiveness and minimal confusion, and your students feel like their learning experience is personalized just for their needs.
Say YES to two-way, 360° learning
- With a low value product: you deliver content in one format (maybe two). For example, a PDF with text, or a series of videos.
- With a high value experience: you use a full spectrum of tools to make it easier to learn. In addition to text and videos, you offer other helpful materials like worksheets, checklists, templates, audio files, expert interviews and more. You also use quizzes, surveys and feedback forms that invite engagement, measure progress and provide you with valuable insights directly from your students.
Say YES to relationship-building
- With a low value product: the sale is the end point of the process. The relationship ends there. See ya!
- With a premium experience: the sale is the beginning of a long-term relationship, and your job has just begun.
- You make sure your students are logging in.
- You check in on their progress as they go through the material.
- You have great customer service throughout the experience.
- You offer logical cross-sell products when they are finishing up the course.
- You hold their hands so they feel taken care of and special. And guess what? They come back for more products, again and again. It’s as simple as that.
The important thing to remember is that the quality of your course is a direct reflection of YOU. Do you want to be perceived as a low value product…or a high value experience?
There’s another benefit to improving your course quality: you can charge more for it. Even if you’re teaching the same exact material you’ve always taught, it will have a different perceived value depending on how you frame it.
If you put the material into a downloadable e-book, you can sell it for about $19.
If you put the same material into an infodump course, you can sell it for about $99.
If you put the same material into a dripped, high value experience, you can sell it for about $500.
See the difference in quality and price? That’s what people talk about when they talk about tiered pricing. People will gladly pay more to get more. With tiered pricing, you can transform your material into something fantastic that customers will be delighted to pay big bucks for.
If you’re still selling the same old $19 e-book, hey, we understand. You launched a product, and that’s an amazing accomplishment in itself. You did the best you could with what you had, but times have changed. It’s not 1999. Or 2005. Or even 2012! It’s 2015, and customers expect a lot more from you.
At Summit Evergreen, we work hand-in-hand with entrepreneurs who face this challenge every day. We get it 🙂 Change is hard!
But we HATE watching smart, capable people leave money on the table. It makes us crazy.
We’ve helped people sell over $3 million in products over the last 6 months, but we’re still not satisfied. We know you could sell more and touch more lives if you just had the right tools in your toolbox. That’s why we’re on a mission to help you transform your old product into something exceptional.
If you want to grow your business, there are a couple of paths you can take. Yes, you can go out and grow your list and seek out more customers and do a lot of stuff that takes up all of your time and energy.
But there’s a better way.
The better way is to take care of your existing customers and focus on giving them a premium experience. Improve your course. Tier your pricing. Give students a way to grow with you and come back for more.
To get to that point, you can hire a kick-ass developer to help you put together all the pieces. Or, you could get Summit Evergreen and do it yourself with a few clicks. It works for our million dollar clients, and it will work for you. Sign up for your free month and see what a premium experience really looks like.